Who We Want
Chicago International Charter School (CICS) is searching for our next Director of Finance. We are looking for someone who understands financial figures and can help others make sense of them, too. This person will assist in understanding our financial past, envision a promising financial future, and manage our day-to-day financial performance.
We want someone who:
- sweats the mission. The bottom line for us is not profit but impact on students and our educational community. Using funds wisely allows us to create a network that benefits students and the world.
- has mastered the balancing act of big picture and details. Financial success is rooted in an organizations core purpose and visionary long-term forecasts and budgets and is impacted by the day-to-day actuals of our line items.
- shows evidence of handling a large and complex organization. The thought of overseeing cash flows in all directions for a 1000+ employee workforce with multiple departments, subdivisions, subsidiaries and sister organizations does not daunt you.
If this sounds like you, continue reading to learn more about this role and our organization.
What You’ll Do
The Director of Finance works in the Finance department and is primarily responsible for ensuring that the network and the individual campuses are aligned financially. The Director of Finance will work with the Manager of Accounting to ensure the network’s financials are closed accurately every month. In addition, the Director of Finance will ensure that the transfer of revenue and expenses between the network and the campuses is accounted for and reconciled regularly. The Director of Finance will lead accounting software implementation and administration and will also help oversee CICS’ Finance Back-Office services. Specific responsibilities include but may not be limited to:
Manage the “Inter-Company” Relationship (30%)
- Coordinate the reconciliation of “inter-company” transfers throughout the fiscal year, ensuring that balances match between the network and the individual campuses
- Assist with the management of the network’s annual audit and auditor relationship
- Ensure audit is performed accurately and on time, per government regulations and bond covenants
Campus-Related Oversight and Management (30%)
- Act as the Director of Finance for 3 CICS campuses, including directly managing the budgets and ensuring bill payments and payroll run smoothly
- Review all CICS campus annual budgets and quarterly financial statements, including submitting reports in templates provided by Chicago Public Schools
Lead Accounting Software Implementation and Administration (25%)
- Lead the implementation of Intacct, a fund accounting software, including coordinating the integration between the network and the campuses
- Implement new technology that will help automate the accounting and budgeting processes at the network office, such as Bill.com and Expensify
- Administer the day-to-day management of these software tools
Support CFO (15%)
- Support the CFO on Finance Department projects and priorities as needed.
What You Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required, Master’s degree preferred
- 5 to 7 years finance experience
- experience consulting/executing finance function at a nonprofit highly preferred
- at least 2 years experience at a 1000+ employee organization with multiple subdivisions/subsidiaries preferred
- Familiarity with INTACCT software preferred
- Commitment - You are passionate about the boundless potential of our students and providing high quality education options for all; your decisions are consistently made through the lens of what is best for students.
- Service orientation - You are committed to providing high-level service to internal and external stakeholders.
- Drive toward results - You anticipate and work to overcome challenges, persevere, and meet goals. You have a track record of success in finance.
- Creativity - You have experience solving complicated and multi-faceted problems and generating a variety of innovative, effective solutions, and you value differing opinions and seek out dissenting perspectives to strengthen those solutions. You have a habit of entertaining the big picture (i.e., long-term vision) alongside the day-to-day details.
Skills & Competencies
- Cultivating relationships and partnerships - You have a proven record of building trust and achieving shared goals with internal and external stakeholders including direct reports, colleagues, and vendors. You can balance competing interests and priorities.
- Excellent communication skills - You can translate complex content to key decision-makers and stakeholders who do not have the same level of expertise with the content as you do.
- Comfortable setting your own path - You thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, and are able to strategically prioritize time and competing initiatives, focusing on those that will have the greatest impact on students. You seek out and participate in opportunities to develop professionally so that you are constantly learning more about our organization, the broader education landscape within and outside of Chicago, and accounting best practices at nonprofits.
- Technical & Content Expertise - You know financial theory inside and out. Moreover, you know what a successful finance function looks like in practice at a successful nonprofit organization. In addition, you have a foundational understanding of accounting.
Who We Are
The mission of the Chicago International Charter School (CICS) is to be a vibrant network of unique Chicago charter schools that prepares students to thrive in college and life and empowers educators to innovate and lead. We strive to be a hub of excellence and innovation in Chicago education where every student flourishes, every school meets the unique needs of its students and community, and every success catalyzes citywide improvement.
CICS is entering an exciting time, embarking on the implementation of a new strategic plan. Joining our organization at this critical point in our history is an opportunity to be a part of leading CICS in a new direction.
We will continue to partner with high-performing school operators, but we will sharpen our focus on innovation, recruiting talented education entrepreneurs and supporting their efforts to innovate inside our schools and classrooms—ultimately, better serving Chicago’s students and their families.
Our plan is to develop CICS into a consistently high-performing network of academically rigorous, pedagogically diverse, forward-thinking schools that prepare every student for success in college or career – and the Director of Finance will play a critical role in meeting that ambitious plan.
What We Value
Our values keep us honest and help us determine the best course of action to meet our mission and vision.
- We are determined optimists. We believe quality of our schools must match the boundless potential of our students. We are uncompromising on quality and equity, fueled by the urgency to improve, and grounded in the belief that anything is possible if we keep striving.
- We are driven to make the world better for students. Our core purpose is to improve our world through education. All decisions are made through the lens of what is best for students. We have the courage to make tough calls that benefit students in the long term and a deep commitment to our work.
- We nurture new ideas. We give brave approaches the space to take root and the support to flourish. We are driven by data, embrace constant iteration, and have the curiosity to learn alongside our students so we can constantly improve.
- We get stuff done. We believe in hard work and humility. We’re focused on delivering results and we always maintain high expectations—for our students and ourselves.
- We are powered by people and partnership. We value our partners and our relationships. We maintain trust through transparency, direct communication, and integrity. We work together with compassion and without ego because we know the best solutions are forged collectively.
- We prioritize diversity and authenticity. Diversity and authenticity are non-negotiable in education. We bring our whole selves to work and school, tackle questions of race and equity, listen, and tap into the power of our differences individually and as a network.
What We Offer
We offer a competitive compensation package, including: salary commensurate with experience; paid-time off; a benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance; a flexible spending account option; commuter benefits; disability as well as life insurance. In addition, you’ll have the opportunity to work alongside dedicated colleagues committed to providing high-quality, innovative educational options for families across Chicago.
- Reports to the Chief Financial Officer
- Interacts with the CICS network team, school operators, and financial partners (e.g., auditors, bankers).
Apply right here, right now!
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. If you have any questions, please let us know at email@example.com.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Equity
We are profoundly committed to ensuring that our schools serve as models of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Not only is it the right thing to do – it’s also the most effective way to advance racial and social justice. Because we live, learn and work in a diverse city and a diverse world, we value and expect cross-cultural competence and the continuous self-reflection and self-awareness it demands. Through our policies, practices, and attitudes, we cultivate a culture that prepares staff and students to respect, embrace, and champion diversity, equity, and inclusion within our schools and beyond them.
Chicago International Charter School provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.