Empowered Community Schools (ECS), an organization founded by leaders from CICS Loomis and CICS Longwood, will support the reimagining of these two campuses as they become a continuum of high-quality education. ECS, a collaborative and innovative learning community, is on a mission to empower students to leverage their academic knowledge, character and non-cognitive skills to flourish in college, career, and life. We are looking to transform the learning community for our students, and we seek educators and staff members who are talented and reflective, driven by a belief in social justice, culturally responsive, emotionally intelligent and a believer in the power of a team.
A Data Strategist to support Empowered Community Schools (Chicago, Illinois) in managing and analyzing student data to inform school improvement and student success. To do this, the strategist develops analytical tools with real-time information that’s healthy, consumable, accurate and actionable.
Responsibilities and Duties
● Conceptualize, build and maintain data dashboards for use by school and network office staff.
● Interpret school and network production data to inform strategy for school improvement.
● Work closely with school leadership to provide support to school-based staff around data.
● Serve as a subject matter expert as it relates to data analysis, visualization, application and interpretation.
● Work collaboratively with other data strategists to establish a culture of evidence-based decision making.
Build capacity among School and Network leaders to engage in robust cycles of Strategic Planning and Data Inquiry
● Coordinate with and support CEO’s strategies to develop principal and school team capacity in alignments with the Continuous Improvement Process.
● Conducting root cause analyses, developing theories of action and building coherent multi-year strategies.
● Support principals and school teams in the development, implementation, and evaluation of their school improvement plan by building capacity around strong cycles of inquiry and the use of data for planning.
● Provide frequent, actionable feedback to assist principals and their leadership teams in improving their data strategy to achieve better results.
● Build the capacity of school teams to execute strong Data Driven Instructional cycles.
● Counsel school teams and leaders around how to interpret data with fidelity to best analytic practice and the content of ECS, CICS, and CPS policies and initiatives.
● Build the capacity of School and Network leaders to plan using data protocols and Assessment metric calculations.
● Act as the point person for data access, analytics, and selection
● Provide schools and networks access to datasets as needed to support robust engagement with cycles of data inquiry
● Provide expertise and consultation on the selection of leading and lagging metric indicators for planning purposes
● Support ECS leaders so that they can assist Principals and Instructional Leadership Teams in setting goals and selecting appropriate measures to monitor progress of school-based programs. Provide strategic data analysis to the CEO to improve student outcomes and the effectiveness of schools, programs, and district initiatives.
● Identify implications of school performance data and make strategic recommendations to CEO and Network staff.
● Serve as the Network expert and resource in understanding and accessing data systems.
Qualifications and Skills
● Ability to work successfully with colleagues, including school-based personnel, community members, and external customers
● Attention to detail, takes initiative, and is organized
● Solves problems and make sound decisions
● Ability to communicate effectively both in written and oral communication
● Ability to work well independently and within a team
● Excellent report writing, analytical and project management skills, with a good attention to detail.
● Excellent skills with Microsoft Office and statistical software, such as Stata, SAS, R, or SPSS
● Skills that are preferred but not required include experience with a database language, such as SQL and experience with data visualization software, such as Tableau.
● Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Business, Education, or related field of study. Master’s degree preferred.
● Experience within a K-12 setting is a plus
● Experience working with or coaching adult learners and designing and facilitating professional development to classroom teachers and school leaders is preferred
We offer a competitive compensation package, including salary commensurate with experience; paidtime off; a benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance; a flexible spending account option; commuter benefits; disability as well as life insurance. In addition, you’ll have the opportunity to work alongside dedicated colleagues committed to providing high-quality, innovative educational options for families across Chicago.
ECS provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.